For too long, WA State correctional employees have not been given the respect they deserve. Interest arbitration will help WA State correctional employees in the following ways:
- Interest arbitration will ensure a level playing field and give DOC employees the respect, dignity, and fairness in negotiations that is long overdue.
- With interest arbitration, contract proposals that remain unresolved in bargaining would be given fair, impartial consideration.
- Interest arbitration will prevent costly litigation and reduce the number of unfair labor practice charges the State must investigate.
- Correctional employees have given up the right to strike because of their dedication to public safety. Interest arbitration will provide a fair and timely process for addressing issues in contract negotiations that might otherwise result in a labor dispute.
- County correctional employees, the Washington State Patrol, local police officers, firefighters and other law enforcement and public safety professionals have broad interest arbitration rights; Correctional employees must be afforded these rights as well.
- Correctional employees should have the same rights that have been granted to every other public safety group in Washington State.